Acupuncture for fertility
The National Health Service defines infertility as not being able to achieve a clinical pregnancy within 12 months of regular unprotected sex; one in seven couples, that’s 3.5 million people in the UK require support(1). Planning ahead can put you in the best possible position.
If you’ve made a decision to become parents then you will want to ensure that you’re in the best possible place and receiving acupuncture for fertility can help to achieve this.
If you think of yourself as a gardener wanting to grow some beautiful plants, a good soil rich in nutrients with light and appropriate temperature would be the basis for a successful germination. Regular feeding of love, water and sunshine would provide the basis for growth.
A good seed is also required and just as important as the environment it will plant in.
The same can be said about your health; good health initially comes from a good and well balanced lifestyle and this starts with nutrition; good input good output, right?
Those who take medicine and neglect their diet waste the skill of the physician – Chinese proverb
I once heard somebody say “you are what you eat”, I would like to expand on that and say you are what you eat, what you absorb and what you digest. If your body is absorbing and digesting efficiently then you will be extracting appropriate nutrients from the food that you eat, contributing to creating the best possible environment for implantation.
You may not be able to choose when you become pregnant but you can choose how you go about it, empower yourself!
My unique approach to fertility
- Developing an understanding of your medical history is important in this part of our journey together, I would want to understand the results of any medical tests that you may have taken to date, and I may also suggest others that might be appropriate.
- Acupuncturists can often detect imbalances before they become pathological. This means you may be experiencing symptoms that a Western medical doctor has not yet diagnosed or is unable to diagnose or treat;
- I don’t hold back when it comes to sharing information, I want, what you want and I have spent time researching and investigating the best diet and exercise to make conception achievable and I share lifestyle tips that are appropriate for you, before and after conception, enhancing your overall well-being.
- I can work with you to develop a comprehensive plan of action. This may mean that I focus on areas such as:-
– regulating your menstrual cycle
– regulate ovulation
– increase blood flow to the uterus and ovaries
– enhance egg development
– enhance the internal environment of the fallopian tubes
– promote embryo implantation
– decrease stress
– enhance maternal and paternal health during fertility
– mitigating the effects of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
– mitigating the effects of thyroid imbalances
– support you with weight loss, if appropriate
Stress and emotional factors are one of the biggest hormone disruptors. Acupuncture can regulate hormones as well as providing relaxation; the positive effects of a treatment can promote good sleep and a renewed sense of vitality, this can be all that some couples need.
It takes two to tango, right fellas?
Acupuncture and Male Infertility
Male factor infertility is becoming more common and is implicated in half of all infertile couples. A male requires:-
- adequate production of sperm in the testes
- a clear path for sperm to travel through the seminal tract
- satisfactory delivery of the sperm to the waiting egg.
Low sperm count, poor sperm motility, poor sperm morphology (shape), anti-sperm antibodies, and low testosterone are all imbalances that may be addressed through acupuncture, usually in conjunction with nutritional and herbal supplements.
As a Chinese medicine practitioner I assess you from a constitutional perspective, I look to correct imbalances within your organ system that will have your body functioning the way that it should, and you will notice the difference, many women have reported feeling more relaxed, sleeping better, coping with work better, feeling more energetic, improved back pain, to name a few. So before you start on your journey to conception, naturally or assisted, ensure that your internal reproductive environment is balanced and receptive, providing an ideal home in which to grow your seedling.
How do I know if it is right for me?
Iif you would like to understand if acupuncture is the right option for you or would like to share your journey then I’d love to hear from you. I offer a free 15 minute telephone consultation where you can ask questions, call 07867 622 406.
- National Health Service. 2014. [ONLINE]Available at:
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Infertility/Pages/Introduction.aspx [accessed 22 June 2016].